Saturday, October 4, 2008

Driving Rant

I was writing this as part of the one about the flute, but pulled it out because it was a distraction.

I am reminded of how frustrated I was while driving last night. I was pushed off the road twice by the same lady in a minivan. A guy drove up the road in the construction zone on 8th east on the other side of the barrels, because he was too impatient to wait on traffic. He ended up having to wait for everyone who was turning right, including me, and many in front of and behind me. I had hit all but three red lights driving up University (which has A LOT of lights) and also had people trying to turn left into the left turn lane hoping that someone would let them in because they didn't have the forethought to plan ahead nor the consideration to take the next left. As I drove past the guy, I honked at him and he flipped me off. I rarely honk, but I did five times last night. I had a headache by the time I got where I was going for the stress that I inflicted on myself due to the events I witnessed and in which I took part.

So when I drive, I think about how I react and others react when we drive. I believe that traffic would be significantly reduced, accidents would be less frequent, there would be less road rage and people would have a much better time driving if everyone, especially those who know better, would not think themselves more important that everyone else on the road. Whose time is more important than another's. Even if you are paid more, or drive a more expensive vehicle or haven't been home for awhile, do you really think that everyone else on the road is just there to be in your way? Do you really have to turn left here or take this exit and perhaps ruin someone else's drive? Is it that hard to accept your mistake, suck it up and take some extra time to get where you are going safely or without impeding someone else's trek? Is it that important to be 20 feet farther ahead than someone else by not letting them in when they use their blinker? Is it that hard to be considerate to others and actually use your blinker?

Maybe now I will get to this point. I don't know what situation the lady in the minivan was in when she tried to push me off the road (twice), then turned into McDonald's suddenly as I was in the right turn lane. I don't know if that guy in the truck had a special need to get somewhere and was as frustrated as I at that time. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I get frustrated at how inconsiderate people are. I hope that people will think more of others and give everyone an equal chance when driving. I also hope that people will consider the fact that there is more than one way to get where you are going and if you will miss a turn unless you do something drastic, that you can take the time to prepare for the next opportunity to either take another route or turn around. Life is short enough, we don't have to spend it being inconsiderate or stupid.